Winter support

Colchester Borough Council is providing support for residents, businesses and communities throughout winter.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants

If you have a disability and need adaptations in your home to make it easier to live in, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the cost.

Types of eligible works

Things that we might be able to help with include:

  • adapted bathroom facilities
  • stairlifts
  • access ramps
  • level access showers
  • door widening
  • level thresholds

Who can apply

You can apply for a grant if you're:

  • an owner or the tenant of a property
  • a landlord on behalf of a disabled person
  • parent/guardian of a disabled child

The property to be adapted must be the place where you live, and you should intend to keep living there for at least five years after the work is complete.

Help you will get

If you are eligible, you can get a grant for home adaptations of up to £30,000.

The amount of grant awarded is decided by conducting a Means Test. This test is used to assess the amount of contribution you might need to pay towards the cost of the works.

If the grant is for a child or young person under the age of 19 who is still in full time education there is no means test.

If you are in receipt of any of the following income-related benefits you will not have a contribution to make towards the grant:

  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Related Job Seekers Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit (guarantee element only)
  • Working or Child Tax Credits where your income is below £15,050

Fast-tracked applications

We can fast track applications to help you leave hospital faster or prevent admission to hospital. These must be referred by NHS Occupational Therapists or GP Care Advisers directly to our Housing Occupational Therapist.

Repayment of Grant

If you own your home a charge for the amount of grant over the first £5,000 will be placed on your property for a period of 10 years. This interest free charge is limited to a maximum of £10,000. This is repayable if the property is sold or transferred within that period. After the 10 years the charge is removed.

How to apply

To apply for a grant, you must first arrange an assessment with Essex County Council.

They will send an occupational therapist to assess your needs to see if you are eligible. They will then make recommendations on what equipment and adaptations you need.

Adult Social Care at Essex County Council

Monday to Thursday, 8.45am to 5pm
Friday, 8.45am to 4.30pm

Telephone: 0345 603 7630
Textphone: 0345 758 5592

Applications for children

For children, contact the Children and Families Hub.

Telephone: 0345 603 7627

Find out about support available from the Children and Families Hub.

If you are a Colchester Borough Homes tenant

You should initially contact Colchester Borough Homes on 01206 282971.

Page last reviewed: 10 September 2021